Sunday, September 04, 2011

September is a busy card month for me

I was just taking a look at my calendar for September, and there are eight birthdays, one anniversary, one shower, and one quinecenara on it!  Wow, it's going to be a busy month!!  In fact, there is a birthday today...Happy Birthday to Mary Luciano (a wonderful customer and friend that I have met through Stampin' Up!). 
On Friday, my up line and her husband were celebrating their birthdays...they both have the same birthday...I guess her husband can't say he forgot her birthday, huh!?!  Anyway, I wanted to make her a special card because she always comes up with such creative ideas that pushes me to be a better demonstrator...not to mention, she has become a great mentor and friend to me over the past couple of years.  So as I was searching for ideas, I came across a wonderful card on Stampin' Connection (a demo only web-site) that was simple, yet elegant.  I tried out the technique that fellow demonstrator, Karen Barber described, and I think it turned out beautifully.  Here is the cover of the card...

Susan's Birthday Card

Even though this stamp set is a two step stamp, I did not use it that way.  Per Karen's direction, each flower was filled in using four different color markers and then I used the white gel pen to finish each of them off.  After each the flowers were colored and the leaves and stems were filled in (I used two colors in those areas), I used my Sahara Sand pen to outline each of the flowers.  Sponging was then applied around the flowers like an outline.  I thought about adding some embellishments, but I just loved the way it all turned out, I let the flowers do all the work for the front of this card...I didn't even add a sentiment to the front....that is so not like me!  All in all, I think that it was a beautiful card if I do say so myself (I think she really liked it too!).  If you'd like to recreate it, I've added the recipe below.  If you have any questions, please let me know...I'd be happy to answer them!

Paper: Island Indigo, Early Espresso, Whisper White
Stamp Set: Simply Soft
Ink: Stazon, Baja Breeze, Sahara Sand, Island Indigo
Markers: Bashful Blue, Baja Breeze, Marina Mist, Not Quite Navy, Pear Pizazz, Lucky Limeade, Sahara Sand
Accessories: Clear Blocks, Sponge, Snail, White Gel Pen

No comments:

Post a Comment